Our June 1st radio broadcast signaled the beginning of a 5 part series that Harvey and Shelley are featuring during one of the segments on “Listing Your Home”. Today’s segment featured the first part which Harvey and Shelley believe to be Choosing an Agent. There are many important things to consider when choosing an agent and Harvey and Shelley’s tips and recommendations are:
1. Interview 3 Agents and look for an agent with Market Knowledge, Experience and Negotiating Skills.
2. Don’t be tempted by an agent that promises the moon and try s to “buy the listing” – ask them to justify their strategy to be sure it’s feasible.
3. What specific marketing will the agent use to sell your home. You don’t want an agent that uses the 3-P theory of Put a sign in the yard, Put it in MLS and Pray.
4. Another important thing to consider is you want a an agent that has your confidence and you feel you can get along with. This partnership is important because you will be working closely together throughout the process and you want someone you can count on to have your best interests at heart. You also want an agent that can do net sheets and know the numbers.
5. Commission is also a crucial component in choosing an agent. All commissions are negotiable however the lowest commission is not always the best deal. Inquire about the “co-op” being offered to the agent that procures the buyer to be sure it’s competitive. Often times discounted commissions means discounted services.